We always look for the best camping recipes that have a small number of ingredients. This way, the cook doesn’t have to cram all of the ingredients into a small space in the RV. Fewer ingredients, the less space it’ll take up. If you’re thinking about taking your new RV out on the road, try this camping recipe that’ll bring a bit of spice to your adventure.
It only takes about 20-30 minutes to prepare, so you’ll all be eating in no time. If you love sweet potatoes, you’ll love these Mexican turkey bowls! It may sound a bit different to have sweet potatoes with a Mexican twist, but trust us! It’s super yummy and an easy way to get all of those good carbs in.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 pound lean (93%) ground turkey
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can of crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2 slices of Pepper Jack cheese
1. Pierce the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Cook in the microwave on HIGH until tender when pierced with a fork, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let the potatoes rest until cool enough to handle.
2. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop the flesh out of the potatoes and place in a medium-sized bowl. Reserve the skins. With the back of a fork, mash the potato flesh until most lumps are gone. Divide the mashed sweet potato evenly between the potato skins. Place on a baking sheet.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat with the olive oil. Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, and salt and pepper (I always am super generous with the chili powder and garlic if you like more spice in your dishes!). Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the crushed/diced tomatoes.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spoon the turkey mixture into each sweet potato skin. Top each with a half slice of pepper jack cheese. Heat in the oven until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.
4. Add chips and salsa to the meal to make it a little bit more fun for everyone!
Can you say “yum”!
Turkey bowls are a great recipe to cook while camping because it takes such a short time to bake and it’s less of a hassle for everyone. We have found that if you don’t normally use these spices on your trips, it might be easiest if you measure out the ingredients beforehand and keep the spices in one plastic sandwich baggie. That way, you won’t even have to mess with taking all of the little spice bottles and filling up more space in your pantry.
If your family likes sweet potatoes, four of you can enjoy this delicious recipe! *Add a sweet potato per person if you desire to eat two bowls each.
This camping recipe is great to have while staying in your new RV. If you have any questions about our inventory of new or used RVs, please contact us today. We’d love to help you find the RV that suits your needs best at a great price. We wish you happy camping!